Smoked salmon is always an appetizing treat thanks to its great flavor, smooth texture and a huge variety of options for cooking. So, it’s hard to say NO when seeing a big sale on a large packet of delicious smoked salmon when you are in the supermarket, right?
See also: Best Emergency Food Kits Reviews & Guide 2018
Take it now and don’t worry when you have some leftovers after dinner since you can easily freeze the smoked salmon, not only to prolong its life but also maintain the taste, texture, and quality.
Of course, we will guide you how to do.
Prepare To Freeze Smoked Salmon
- Step 1 – You can either freeze the whole fish or cut it into pieces to freeze. The best way is to get the small portions because it’s easy to defrost for the next time. Take the best santoku knife and slice carefully.
- Step 2 – Put each piece in two or more plastic layers and then cover it tightly to stop freezer burn from happening. Or try to wrap another layer of aluminum foil to protect better.
- Step 3 – Place each into different freezer bags, release any excess air and seal them tightly.
- Step 4 – Label the date of first freezing on each bag and then put in the freezer.
Aside from sticking to four above ways, please notice the amount of time that you can keep the frozen smoked salmon in the freezer. Normally, it can last around 3 months. In case you keep it in a place where has the maximum freezing point, it can last over 6 months. Although the salmon is still eatable after this time, the quality is no more good.
Then, Learn How To Thaw The Smoked Salmon To Enjoy
Take a sufficient quantity of salmon that you wish to thaw and then put the freezer bags in the refrigerator now. Depending on the sizes of the pieces that you covered, the thawing process might take about 24 hours. It’s necessary to keep the fish still cold when it thaws. And avoid leaving the smoked salmon on the countertop or use hot water to thaw because germs will grow in the fish.
Since the smoked salmon can be eaten cold, you can enjoy when it’s totally thawed.
Or Reheat The Smoked Salmon
- Step 1 – Preheat the oven from 275F to 325F.
- Step 2 – Lay the already thawed fish in a baking dish.
- Step 3 – Brush both sides with oil or butter to prevent the fish from drying up.
- Step 4 – Wrap the dish with foil and cook for 5-15 minutes.
- Step 5 – Insert an instant thermometer and check whether the salmon reaches 145 F or not. If not, continue heating it up for a few minutes.
For reheating, avoid using the microwave because the high heat might dry out the smoked salmon. Furthermore, it can leave some cold spots in the fish and bacteria can easily grow in there.
Additionally, make sure you finish it within the next 2 hours after reheating the frozen smoked salmon or the formation of bacteria can (again) make you sick. Therefore, just reheat when you’re ready to eat. And if there are still leftovers after 2 hours of reheating, you just put them back in the freezer.
Watch this video below to know how to store, freeze and defrost the smoked salmon
Time To Make Stunning Dishes With The Smoked Salmon
Why do you just reheat the smoked salmon to eat again and again? Why don’t you learn new recipes to make your meal delicious and healthy?
Do Smoked Salmon Dip
A creamy and savory sauce from cream cheese and smoked salmon will make your snack time more appetizing.
Let’s mix ½ cup sour cream, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 teaspoon drained horseradish, 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper together in the electric mixer. After getting a smooth mixture, continue adding 4 ounces of minced smoked salmon and mix well.
Spoon out a small bowl and serve with crackers, vegetables or fruits that you like.
Kick Your New Day By Eating Scrambled Eggs With Smoked Salmon
- Step 1 – Please prepare 12 eggs, 4 ounces of smoked salmon, ½ cup heavy cream, 12-15 blades of fresh chives, salt, and pepper.
- Step 2 – Keep 2 slices of salmon for decoration while chopping the remaining into small pieces.
- Step 3 – Add eggs and cream in a big bowl and then whisk them.
- Step 4 – Continue adding ½ chopped chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Step 5 – Place a small frying pan on a stove with the medium heat. Next, melt butter and pour the egg mixture.
- Step 6 – Scramble it with a wooden spoon. Avoid cooking the eggs until dry. Step 7 – Add the chopped salmon when the eggs are still wet.
- Step 8 – Put the scrambled egg into a dish, then garnish with the remaining salmon, chives and then serve when it’s still warm.
Relax With Smoked Salmon Salad
- Step 1 – Add 6 tablespoons olive oil and 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar in a small bowl and whisk well. Remember to season with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 – Prepare 6 cups baby greens, sprinkle a sufficient amount of dressing to cover them and then mix well.
- Step 3 – Divide the greens into 4 plates evenly.
- Step 4 – Put thinly sliced smoked salmon over each plate and sprinkle another layer of dressing.
- Step 5 – Garnish salads with capers, red and yellow cherry tomatoes, and red onions on top.
Final Thoughts About Can You Freeze Smoked Salmon?
The smoked salmon is truly a wonderful addition to any meal from breakfast to lunch and dinner. While it might come with a high tag on each packet, it’s not hard to freeze and keep for a long time, which makes your purchase reasonable in the long run.
And it’s no more difficult to process different stunning dishes with any leftover smoked salmon you have in the freezer. Except for three above recipes, you also find out more and more healthy and easy ones online.
For the next time, if you see a great sale on these delicious fishes, buy it now because you’re not worried about freezing them anymore.