January is a good time for new beginnings, isn’t it?
I’ve always thought so.
But then, February is just as good. And so is March. And July, while we’re thinking about this.
There’s just something about the changing of the year, though, that seems like the right time to make a fresh start.
It’s kind of funny because Angie and I didn’t coordinate on this at all, but we’re both starting off this year’s Monthly Goals by thinking about and writing about overarching year-long goals, too.
So I’ve been thinking about what I want to do this year and there are a few key areas I want to work on. They’re pretty much the key areas EVERYONE wants to work on, but they are things that I really HAVE TO change.
Here’s what it comes down to:
- Health–I must get it under control.
- Finances–Oh good heavens, I have GOT to figure this out. I make okay money and my living expenses shouldn’t be THAT high. So I don’t know how I’m working two jobs and still barely making it. This needs to stop.
- Organization–Oh me oh my, I HAVE to get myself organized. My bedroom is a disaster. My office is a disaster. I need to get rid of a ton of junk. I have too much stuff and it HAS TO GO.
- TRAVEL! I have some major travel plans this year. I’m headed to India and Nepal in June and I’m not ready to talk about it yet, but I think there is some more travel in my future after that trip. More details later, but I’m freaking out with glee.
All right, so yeah, those are my big goals for the year. So each month will be dedicated to working on things that will help me with each of those goals.
First up, here’s how December went. (Spoiler Alert: It wasn’t pretty…)
Blogging/Social Media Goals
- Post to the SoCal insta twice per week and get to 50 followers. Not even a little bit.
- Schedule out Christmas movie quotes for Facebook page game. Done!
- Follow the blogging schedule (daily posts M-F) AND stay up to date with reading. No, but that was a decision, not just laziness.
- Update at least 10 old posts per week. Okay, this failure was laziness.
- Take that bag(s) to Goodwill. No more procrastinating! I procrastinated…
- Cook at least one actual meal at home every week. Hahahahahaha! I’m so funny!
- Pay auto registration before the due date. Soooooo close!
- Decorate my room for Christmas. Nope.
- Watch a movie in the theater each week. (This one’s gonna be EASY!) Totally done. DONE! (Manchester by the Sea, La La Land, Rogue One, Fences, Passengers, Die Hard)
- Watch Luke Cage. I didn’t even start it…
- Finishing listening to It and choose another audiobook. I chose another, but I didn’t finish It yet.
- Read A Christmas Carol and Skipping Christmas. I didn’t make it. I’m lame.
So…yeah…that didn’t go so well. I basically just went, Meh, who cares now? Partly because I just made a list of stuff to do and didn’t necessarily care if I did them or not. That’s part of what is changing with my goals for this year.
And now…first up for 2017
- Download a water tracking app.
- Start simple with 5 glasses of water per day.
- Get to 10K daily steps twice per week.
- Cook at least 2 meals at home per week.
- Take lunch to work at least 2 times per week.
- Start promoting Amazon and Etsy affiliate networks.
- Get caught up on all bills.
- Create a budget and stick to it.
- Donate at least 2 bags of stuff to Goodwill.
- Take 1 box of books to the library.
- Start organizing photos and get them off my camera SD card.
- Read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up.
- Continue updating images and SEO on old posts.
- Make a payment toward India/Nepal trip.
- Buy my PacSafe anti-theft bag.
- Sign up for a photography class.
- Read 1 book on travel, fiction or non-fiction.
- Watch three likely Oscar films.
- Finish listening to It.
- Start planning for the Big Birthday party next month…
All righty…So that’s what I’m working on this month! How about you?? What are you up to this month?? Join Angie and me and link up to share your goals!